September 29, 2020
Dear Residents and Families:
Harbor View is committed to keeping you updated about our response to COVID-19. We’re providing this update to describe our practices relating to COVID-positive patients.
As I am sure many of you are aware, Wisconsin is experiencing an increase in the reported COVID cases. Given this surge, we are re-implementing certain restrictions to prevent or mitigate the spread of the virus into our facility given that our residents have a higher vulnerability to COVID-19. These changes include:
- Outside visitation will be stopped, but closed window visits and virtual visitation are still available.
- All resident group activities within the facility will be suspended.
- Residents will not be transported into the community for reasons other than necessary doctor appointments.
We will, of course, continue to practice the measures that were put in place to mitigate or prevent the spread of the virus. These include, but are not limited to:
- Staying up-to-date and implementing local health department and CDC guidance;
- Following recommended infection control measures, including more frequent hand hygiene, more frequent environmental cleaning on high touch surfaces, and use of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Indoor visitation remains restricted to essential external healthcare providers or compassionate end-of-life visitation;
- All staff and essential visitors are assessed and screen upon entry into the building;
- Encourage residents to practice more frequent hand hygiene and wear masks and practice social distancing when outside of their rooms;
- Any new residents or residents leaving our campus for treatment at an external healthcare provider for any reason will be required to be quarantined upon his/her arrival or return.
We will notify resident physicians and responsible parties on any changes of condition, whether COVID related or not.
While we share the community’s great concern about this pandemic and the rising cases in Wisconsin, as a result of our efforts, we feel confident in our ability to provide uninterrupted care in a way that will minimize exposure to others. We hope that you will use us as a resource to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are currently moving forward with our scheduled flu shot clinic for the residents on Tuesday, October 13th.
These restrictions will be in place until further notice. We plan to continue with the indoor meeting space for cold weather visits in the future when conditions improve and will provide you updates as things change in the community. As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns.